- Posted: over a month ago
- $27 to $32 Hourly
Hiring: ASE Mechanic
Location: Newark, NJ
Starting: $27.00 – $32.00/hour
Shift: Full Time
Basic Function: Perform a full range of skilled mechanical maintenance, diagnostic, inspection and repair duties on passenger shuttle buses.
- Inspect, diagnose, adjust and repair gas- and diesel-powered buses
- Perform general installation, repair, replacement and adjustment of bearings, ignitions, transmissions, differentials, axles, steering mechanisms, drive shafts, fenders, radiators and front end and rear suspension systems
- Perform a prescribed preventative maintenance program on the bus fleet, road test vehicles after work has been completed.
- Inspect buses and sign forms indicating compliance with State requirements provided by law.
- Perform work in adherence to safe work practices and procedures and in compliance with applicable standards and specifications, including to perform work in accordance with and maintain equipment as required Patch and install seat covers and other accessories on buses.
- Maintain inventory of parts and supplies on hand for the repair of vehicles; contact and compare vendors to obtain high quality supplies for the best price.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work area; maintain and repair shop facilities and equipment. Maintain a variety of records, including vehicle identification, date, mileage and nature of each inspection, maintenance, lubrication and repair performed
Knowledge & Abilities:
- Methods, techniques and procedures used in the inspection, maintenance, overhaul, repair and adjustment of gas- and diesel-powered equipment.
- Operating and repair characteristics of a variety of automotive and shuttle bus diagnostic and repair equipment and tools.
- Methods, techniques, and procedures used in the repair and adjustment of fuel, ignition, electrical and cooling systems and chassis.
- Procedures of preventive maintenance related to automotive and shuttle buses.
- Laws, rules and regulations pertaining to shuttle bus operations and pupil transportation, including DOT compliance.
- Procedures of recycling and disposing of hazardous waste from motorized vehicles and equipment.
- Operational hazards and standard safety practices necessary in the area of assigned work. Principles and procedures of record keeping.
- Safe driving principles and practices.
- Operate the full range of diagnostic, maintenance, and repair equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Operate a shuttle bus safely.
- Operate modern office equipment, including computer equipment.
- Positively respond to supervision as provided by the operations manager
- Perform the full range of mechanical work, including the diagnosing, troubleshooting, and repairing of equipment.
- Inspect, maintain, overhaul, repair and adjust gas- and diesel-powered equipment. Repairs adjust fuel, ignition, electrical and cooling systems, and chassis.
- Perform acetylene and arc methods of welding on motorized vehicles and equipment. Perform electrical work on motorized vehicles and equipment.
- Patch and install seat covers and other accessories. Accurately determine mechanical repair needs.
- Interpret and apply the policies, procedures, laws, codes, and regulations pertaining to assigned programs and functions.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision. Understand and follow oral and written instruction.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Obtain a current valid Class B driver’s license with passenger endorsement
- Establish, and maintain a positive working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Four years of experience as a mechanic, including experience working with school buses, gas and diesel engines or passenger shuttle buses
- Any certificates or proof of continuing education in the mechanical field, i.e. Cummins, Caterpillar, Allison transmissions, welding, etc.
- License or Certificate: ASE certifications in engine repair, Automatic Transmission, Suspension & Steering, Brakes, Electrical Systems, and Heating & Air Conditioning strongly preferred.
ABM (NYSE: ABM) is a leading provider of facility solutions with revenues of approximately $6.4 billion and over 130,000 employees in 300+ offices deployed throughout the United States and various international locations. ABM’s comprehensive capabilities include electrical & lighting, energy solutions, facilities engineering, HVAC & mechanical, janitorial, landscape & turf, mission critical solutions and parking, provided through stand-alone or integrated solutions. Founded in 1909, ABM provides custom facility solutions in urban, suburban and rural areas to properties of all sizes — from schools and commercial buildings to hospitals, data centers, manufacturing plants and airports.
ABM is an EOE/AA (M/F/Vet/Disability/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation)
ABM (NYSE: ABM) is a Fortune 500 company and leading provider of facility solutions with offices throughout the United States and various international locations. ABM's comprehensive capabilities include janitorial, electrical & lighting, energy solutions, facilities engineering, HVAC & mechanical, landscape & turf, mission critical solutions and parking, provided through stand-alone or integrated solutions. ABM provides custom facility solutions in urban, suburban and rural areas to properties of all sizes - from schools and commercial buildings to hospitals, data centers, manufacturing plants and airports. ABM Industries Incorporated, which operates through its subsidiaries, was founded in 1909. For more information, visit www.abm.com.