POSITION INFORMATION: Performs nursing duties such as patient preparation, sample collection, information gathering, patient followup, data collection, and medication administration.
- Patient Preparation: Greets patient respectfully and courteously while preparing patient for their exam. May assist provider during exam as requested. Will assist 24 providers on a daily basis including both faculty and resident physicians as well as physician assistants while working with the health care team at the Family Medicine Center to provide excellent health care to our patients. Alerts patient to provider delays that may affect the patient.
- Sample Collection: May collect samples including blood, urine, etc. for testing by provider’s order. Prepares samples for analysis or shipment.
- Information Gathering: Takes and records vital signs including heart and respiratory rate, blood pressure, weight, body temperature in EMR. Documents all patient encounters appropriately in EMR.
- Patient Followup: May make patient referral appointments. Answers routine questions from patients or family, and will return phone messages during each clinic session.
- Data Collection: Notes all current patient medications in EMR. Assures any expected test results are in EMR for provider to review with patient. Assures patient information has been updated and patient is ready for physician. Discusses with patient any expectations they may have for their visit with their provider.
- Medication Administration: Under direction of physician or other medical personnel, administers medication to patients.
- As Needed. Performs various duties as needed to successfully fulfill the function of the position.
Education: Completion of an accredited practical nursing program
Certifications/ Licenses: Certification as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), and registered as a Licensed Practical Nurse in the State of Oklahoma
- Accurately taking and documenting patient vitals signs.
- Autoclaving and cleaning instruments.
- Weekly refrigeration temperature logs.
- Accurately documents and administers both vaccines and medications.
- Verbal and written communication skills including spelling, grammar and sentence structure.
- Medical terminology useful.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills.
- Problem analysis, problem solving, and conflict resolution. Will understand the primary importance of this function to the organization.
- Customer service patient care behavior toward any interpersonal interaction.
- Organizational skills.