- Posted: September 14, 2021
This position will be responsible for performing non-research biological science work utilizing microbiological and molecular techniques, including, but not limited to, DNA extraction and real-time polymerase chain reaction (real-time PCR) to rapidly identify and characterize potential pathogenic bacterial and viral threat agents. Responsibilities are as follows:
• Handling, receipt, and processing of operational, Quality Assurance (QA), and proficiency test (PT) samples potentially containing biological threat agents;
• Preparing reagents and samples;
• Familiarity with Good Laboratory Practice (GLP);
• Decontamination of work spaces, including Biological Safety Cabinets (BSCs), hoods/air boxes, equipment, and other items associated with processing and analysis activities;
• Maintaining chain-of-custody (CoC);
• Interpretation of results;
• Data entry utilizing computerized or computer-linked systems;
• Performing routine equipment calibration, cleaning, assembly, and maintenance;
• Collecting, processing, and analyzing internal laboratory swipes/swabs for Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC) and contamination monitoring;
• Proper disposal of biohazardous waste;
• Restocking and maintaining proper inventory of necessary supplies;
• Supporting BW Program logistics in conducting and documenting annual inventory of DHS-procured durable equipment and property;
• QA/QC and acceptance testing of reagents in accordance with applicable Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and the Laboratory Operations Quality Assurance Program Plan (QAPP);
• Adhering to QA/QC requirements in accordance with the Public Health Laboratory quality management systems and the QAPP; Maintaining documentation of records demonstrating compliance with applicable training/retraining, competencies, and document reviews;
• Analyzing routine external QA samples in accordance with the BW SOP's and QA Program guidance;
• Proper archiving, storage, and shipping of samples;
• Follow and adhere to written procedures and accepted practices in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations, safety, security and dress code policies, procedures and guidelines, including DHS Safeguarding Sensitive but Unclassified (For Official Use Only) Information (January 2005) when visiting or working at Government facilities;
• Preparing written and oral technical reports, answering questions, and making recommendations to the Lead Biological Scientist for inclusion in comprehensive reports;
• Accurately performing work with confidence;
• Demonstrate competency in various testing methodologies (e.g., multi-center studies), evaluate potential products and processes against unique environmental backgrounds, and meet established deadlines.
• Must be present for all hours of the workday and be available 24/7/365 to respond in case of emergency. Rotating weekends and some holidays are required.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited university requires four (4) years of laboratory bench experience to include one (1) year of utilizing polymerase chain reaction (PCR), aseptic techniques and biological assays, including at least one year of experience as a Team Leader/Senior Scientist. BSL-3 experience is highly desirable
Master's degree or Ph.D. from an accredited university in microbiology, molecular biology or related course work in biological sciences, and REQUIRES at least one (4) year of laboratory bench experience utilizing polymerase chain reaction (PCR), aseptic techniques and biological assays,including at least one year of experience as a Team Leader/Senior Scientist. BSL-3 is highly desirable.
RESUME SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS:
1. Submission MUST include your Salary requirement (either as specific amount or acceptable range).
2. EMAIL your Resume to email@example.com include a reference to the location of this position.
A-TEK, Inc. is not a recruiting agency and will not disclose any of your personal information to any outside party.
A-TEK, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or Vietnam era or other protected Veteran status.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
1212 RichmondRichmond, VA
ScienceView all jobs at A-TEK