Caring for others in a very rewarding career - you get to work with the sweetest, most interesting population on the planet, the elderly, and those in need of any care at home, no matter what the age. You will assist with bathing, mobility, meal prep, getting dressed, grooming, and medication reminders. You will provide companionship such as, going shopping, to church, to visit friends, to get exercise. You may run errands for your client and provide housekeeping.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Review client care plans and provide a variety of types of assistance as indicated.
- Document assistance provided via note writing.
- Provide companionship and supervision to clients with a variety of disabilities, illnesses, disease conditions and needs.
- Assist clients with a variety of personal care tasks such as bathing, grooming and dressing.
- Assist clients with toileting and incontinence care as needed.
- Assist clients with transferring (i.e. bed to chair) and walking ambulation as needed.
- Provide socialization and stimulating activities for clients appropriate to their level of cognition and need.
- Prepare meals for clients and assist with feeding as needed.
- Provide medication reminders as appropriate/needed.
- If indicated and approved, accompany and/or transport clients to appointments/errands.
- Perform a variety of light housekeeping tasks such as vacuuming, dusting, washing dishes, light cleaning of bathrooms, laundry and making beds.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- One year of experience providing in-home or facility care to individuals with disabilities and/or elderly individuals.
- Experience providing and ability to provide assistance with (ADLs), including incontinence care.
- Experience working with adults with cognitive impairments such as Alzheimer’s disease highly desired.
- Willingness to work with adults with a variety of disabilities and illnesses.
- Ability to lift, push and pull up to 40lbs unassisted.
- Ability to pass background check.
- Ability to understand and follow written care plans.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally with a variety of constituents including clients, family members, community members and ABS staff.
- Ability to clearly write progress notes.
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a safe, reliable vehicle for use on the job.
- Current TB test, or ability to acquire one upon hiring.
- Ability to professionally represent ABS to clients and the public.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of client information encountered in the course of work.
- Ability to foster and maintain cooperative working relationships with all ABS staff.
Time and a half for major holidays. Caregiver recognition with monthly awards. Caregiver appreciation parties throughout the year.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $9.00 to $11.00 /hour