Our client at Harris County Public Health needs Veterinary Technicians. This is a great opportunity to get your foot in the door with HARRIS COUNTY, this assignment is a great temp to hire opportunity, so don't miss out!!
We get openings for these positions several times on a weekly basis
Job title: Veterinary Technician
Pay rate: $17.00 P/H
Work Schedule: Monday – Saturday (Day Shift)
Under the supervision of the Chief, Veterinary Operations (CVO), the Veterinary Technician participates in clinical and animal care activities that support the HCPHES VPH pet adoption program. Implements strategies to increase the “Leave Alive” rate as assigned. Also serves as a support to other sections as needed.
• Assists veterinarian with surgery, including sterilization of instruments and surgical area, animal prep and monitoring of vital signs; monitors post-operative recovery and reports changes in condition.
• Responsible for the cleaning, feeding, and care of the animals in the surgery, surgery holding and isolation areas. Ensures that the areas are kept clean, sanitized, and uncluttered at all times.
• Responsible for cleaning and maintaining surgical equipment and sterilizing instruments.
• Using protocols, responsible for the safe induction of anaesthesia, monitors animals while under anaesthesia and during recovery.
• Routinely evaluates health and temperament of sheltered animals and advises the veterinarian and/or the kennel supervisor as appropriate.
• Administers prescribed medications as directed and administers vaccinations per VPH protocols and directions from VPH veterinarians.
• Creates and updates medical records as appropriate.
• Responsible for accurate & timely data entry of information into the shelter database.
• Perform physical exams on animals including a variety of animal health procedures encompassing diagnostic laboratory tests, administration of medications, and assisting with or performing medical treatments.
• Responsible for routinely performing an inventory of veterinary drugs & vaccines and reporting results to the CVO.
• Responsible for maintaining and routinely performing an inventory of controlled drug logs.
· Responsible for ensuring that all animals in the shelter adoption program have aesthetically pleasing pictures on the department’s website.
· Consults with transfer & rescue organizations and foster homes as needed concerning animal health and temperament issues and facilitates a quick transfer of animals to these organizations.
• Promotes responsible pet ownership and answer questions concerning animal health, behaviour, and care.
• Administers vaccinations and implants microchips in owned animals.
· At least 6 months of experience in an animal shelter, veterinary practice or animal care environment is required OR completion of veterinary assistance or technical program
· Proficiency in the use of a computer is required.
· Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required.
· High school diploma or GED
· Must have a clean background
Location: Houston, TX 77076
If you would like to be considered please send your updated resume to Zeenat Fatima and visit our website https://a1personnel.securedportals.com/apply/ in order to complete our online application.
Please apply online. www.a1personnelinc.com