Target Start Date: June 15, 2020
Do you love food? Do you walk into stores and think “I could set this up so much better?” Do you relish the idea of helping design a unique food retail experience from the ground up – choosing the products that stock the shelves, building a team that is as dedicated as you are to serving your customers, and defining the processes that make YOUR store the best customer experience in the world? Well, we may have the perfect opportunity for you!
With 18,000 square feet of grocery, house restaurant, and food and wine retail space, 818 Market in Catonsville, MD will be the premier food retail destination in Baltimore County. We are looking for a professional and customer service-oriented Grocery & Retail Store Manager to oversee daily operations at 818. The successful candidate will be able to enhance customer satisfaction, meet sales and profitability goals, and manage staff effectively. You will join our Management Team several months before opening, working alongside our award-winning Executive Chef and reporting directly into the Owners. You will be responsible for building the initial product offering, negotiating all supplier contracts, and helping design the merchandising of 818 Market. You will hire and train an entire staff, including designing an ongoing approach to onboarding new employees. Make your imprint at a company that will value your innovative retail ideas and help bring them to life for Maryland foodies!
After opening, the Grocery & Retail Store Manager will supervise the operational and organizational standards of the store. Your duties will include developing business strategies, documenting rigorous procedures for cleanliness and food safety, and implementing creative techniques to drive grocery and retail sales. You will be responsible for creating a culture driven to deliver the highest standards of customer service. In addition to being an excellent communicator, you should also demonstrate outstanding leadership and interpersonal skills.
The Grocery & Retail Store Manager will:
- Guide 818 Market’s final grocery and prepared foods permitting process, working with the Executive Chef and Owners. Maintain all permits and licenses.
- Design 818 Market grocery organizational chart and put team in place before opening date. Recruit, select, orient, and train new employees. Maintain employee schedules. Conduct personnel performance appraisals to assess training needs and build career paths. Quickly respond to and resolve all employee complaints.
- Deliver excellent service to ensure the highest levels of customer satisfaction. Quickly respond to and resolve all customer complaints.
- Run the 818 Market Social Mission Program as it applies to: Sustainable sourcing and packaging; Hiring practices that provide opportunities to overlooked cohorts; Encouraging and enabling sustainable practices in 818 and in the community; Addressing food insecurity in the community.
- Create strategies to attract new customers, expand store traffic, and enhance profitability. Prepare detailed reports on buying trends, profits, and consumer behaviors – including vegan, plant-based, and product trends related to dietary restrictions. Seek out industry leaders and propose innovative ideas to increase market share.
- Design initial product mix and layout of 818 Market. Assure point-of-sale system is and remains fully up-to-date on inventory. Track inventory, manage orders, and maintain vendor relationships.
- Maintain a calendar of seasonal sales trends and opportunities. Develop and arrange promotional material and in-store displays. Maintain outstanding store condition and visual merchandising.
- Complete store administration and ensure compliance with policies and procedures. Ensure compliance with food safety laws, as well as health and safety regulations.
- Run reports, brief Management Team, and ensure the accuracy of administrative record keeping. Prepare bank deposits and monitor/discuss financials with the rest of the Management Team.
- Meet sales goals by training, motivating, mentoring and providing feedback to store staff.
- Prepare and oversee an annual budget - scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, and initiating corrective actions.
- Formulate pricing policies by reviewing merchandising activities - determining additional needed sales promotion, authorizing clearance sales, and studying trends.
- Secure merchandise by implementing security systems and measures.
- Maintain the stability and reputation of the store in the community.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Additional Grocery & Retail Store Manager duties as needed
- High School Diploma or GED Required, Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Finance, or a related field is preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience working in a retail environment, including proven, successful experience in a managerial role – preferably with a known service-oriented brand.
- Candidates will have the most success if they have a background in financial planning, employee recruitment, or retail management.
- Innovative thinker who can adjust business operations quickly in order to safely navigate global pandemics and other normal 21st century things. Must lead through empathy and equity.
- Strong leadership and customer management abilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Familiarity with ECRS point-of-service, Wordpress, and/or Social Media platforms are positives
- English required. Spanish and other language fluency is a positive
- Familiarity with Surfrider Foundation and other environmental standards is a positive
- We love fellow foodies and food travelers!