Director of Finance
- Posted: over a month ago
Director of Finance
Location: Fully remote, operating on East Coast Time
50CAN: The 50-State Campaign for Achievement Now, is a nonprofit organization that works at the local level to advocate for a high-quality education for all kids, regardless of their address. We develop local education leaders by providing them with the research, tools, and ideas needed to create learning environments that best meet every child’s needs. 50CAN operates campaigns in Connecticut, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, and Tennessee and is led by CEO & Founder Marc Porter Magee.
About the Job
As a member of 50CAN’s finance team, you will play a central role in helping to create a financial strategy, implement highly effective and sustainable fiscal policies and procedures and closely manage our $10 million budget to ensure the organization’s continued sustainability. This role will ensure that the organization has sound budgeting and finance practices and processes in place related to our fiscal sponsors to ensure an exceptional level of support for the organization as we grow over the next several years. The Finance Director will report to 50CAN’s Vice President of Finance and Operations.
Key responsibilities include:
Financial Strategy and Fiscal Responsibilities
In partnership with the VP of Finance and Operations:
- Manage all fiscal sponsor programs and ensure alignment and accuracy
- Manage and enhance the annual budget process for fiscal sponsors including RFP and vetting process
- Oversee financial systems to ensure accuracy and timeliness of check requests, credit card reconciliations, payroll, accounts receivable, and accounts payable
- Own and manage accounting processes including comparing budget to actuals and making suggestions accordingly to maintain financial sustainability
- Create and manage systems, structures, and growth plans to ensure continued fiscal viability
- Develop financial metrics and reports for senior-level management and create other financial reports as needed
- Collaborate with leadership and Director of Finance to identify and implement opportunities for program growth and improvement
- Provide training for all new fiscal sponsors and continuing training opportunities
Grant Reporting and Development
- Prepare all materials, including budgets, for new and renewed grants as well as for periodic reports on behalf of fiscal sponsors
- Work with the Development team and programmatic departments to ensure that financial requirements for grants and contracts are identified, realized, and monitored
- Track restricted grants, including allocating expenses and recognizing revenue
- Monitor revenues against budget to ensure all fiscal sponsors run in the black
The ideal candidate will have formal experience with a client services organization, management consulting firm, or nonprofit organization that is organized as a spoke-and-hub model. In addition, the successful candidate will have:
- Driven by strong values, integrity, and humility. Our core values (“PORCH”) are plussing it, optimism, relentlessness, candor, and humility. The ideal candidate will enjoy collaborating to advance the mission in a culture defined by those values, as well as have a sense of humor, “roll up your sleeves” work ethic, and willingness to do what it takes.
Educational background and work experience:
- Minimum 3 years experience in a senior management role in finance, ideally in a nonprofit environment; at least 5 years of work experience total
- Experience either as an employee or board member of a nonprofit organization; familiar with nonprofit finance and GAAP accounting regulations
- Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong manager of people and systems who have managed direct reports
- Ability to provide high-level modeling and strategy while also being responsible for the implementation of processes
- Proven ability to be responsive and manage projects to on-time completion
- High-level organizational skills and collaboration
- Demonstrated experience with finance systems, budgets, financial management, and audit oversight
- Demonstrated expertise using Excel
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment with multiple and varied assignments
- Undergraduate degree preferably in finance or accounting
- CPA preferred
- Understanding and embodiment of 50CAN’s core values (“PORCH”): plussing it, optimism, relentlessness, candor, and humility
The following training/skill set is ideal but not required:
- Demonstrated passion and commitment to working in the field of education reform
- Familiarity with the challenges facing public schools and education reform efforts in the United States
Working At 50CAN
This position is fully remote and operates in the East Coast time zone. The salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. In addition, 50CAN offers a comprehensive benefits package. 50CAN is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply. Full compliance with our organization's policies regarding COVID-19 includes the requirement that all new hires are to be fully vaccinated.
How To Apply
Interested applicants should apply through 50CAN's BambooHR portal here. Please include your current resume and cover letter addressed to Kenna Little, VP of Finance and Operations through the BambooHR portal only. Applications will be accepted through June 30. This position is expected to start August 1.
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at 50CAN, Inc.