Title: Systems Administrator
Location: Waltham, MA
42 North Dental is a growing dental support organization with 65 locations and growing in Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire and Maine. For additional information, please see https://www.42northdental.com
The System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff and partners.
This individual will assist project teams with technical issues. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. This individual is accountable for the following systems: Windows systems that support IT infrastructure (servers, desktops/laptops, printers, scanners, WiFi, phones, backups, some dental equipment, software), IT Network, IT Security, and Exchange across Gentle Dental headquarters and offices. With the changing technology landscape, this individual will adapt and implement special projects as needed.
- Engineering of SA-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage internal and external resources and provide economies of scale.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Upgrade and configure system software that supports business applications per project or operational needs.
- Microsoft platform administration including Exchange.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures to protect data, software, and hardware.
- Diagnose computer/server issues, and replace components as required.
- Move and install heavier IT equipment like servers, switches, etc.
- Set up computers and support offices both in domain and workgroup environments
- Must understand network cabling and be able to troubleshoot, install patch panels and connectors.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Interpret and/or discuss information with others, which involves terminology or concepts not familiar to many people; regularly provide advice and recommend actions involving rather complex issues. May resolve problems within established practices.
- Position will require phone, remote and on-site support.
- Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice.
- Travel to field offices for on-site support with a reliable transportation
- DHCP, DNS, Networking, Windows Server, Windows 10, 8.1, 7
- Systems Administration/System Engineer certification in Microsoft.
- Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science/Engineering/Math is preferred but, not required.
- 3-5 years experience
- Self starter, eager to learn quickly, multi-task, clear and concise communication and independently resolve issues
- Can-Do Attitude is a must