At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives. With $33 billion in sales, our 93,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
3M is seeking an Advanced Molding Research Specialist for the Corporate Research Process Laboratory (CRPL) located in Woodbury, Minnesota. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
Within 3M Corporate Research Process Laboratory, the 3D Processing and Precision Replication Group serves as a launching pad for developing new business opportunities by innovatively combining 3M core technologies with new methodologies. The result is new to the world technology platforms that serve to nurture organic growth for 3M with new applications and products.
Advanced understanding of injection molding processes, equipment systems, and materials technology will be required for the position of Advanced Molding Research Specialist. The ideal candidate will be part of the Molding Technology Platform Research Team and must have strong plastic processing knowledge and creative ability to combine advanced tooling/equipment/system design, novel materials, and process optimization culminating in truly innovative new products and processes. Molding process optimization, tooling design, polymer materials, and polymer analytical techniques are fundamental to advancing the molding technology platform at 3M. The successful candidate will collaborate with 3M and external business partners to define and validate the product differentiation enabled by these new technologies.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Develop correlations among material properties, process parameters, and product attributes, thereby creating a fundamental understanding of cause and effect. The candidate will then transfer findings into process development, material formulation/compounding, and/or equipment design/modifications leading to new technologies within the molding platform. Characterization and analysis of optical, chemical, and mechanical properties of molded articles will be necessary.
The candidate will develop a deep understanding of molding industry trends and emerging technologies, identify opportunities for advancing the technology, expand 3M's intellectual property, and participate in strategic planning. The candidate must be able to present results in a clear and concise manner to multidisciplinary teams, making recommendations for change and extending capability by implementing potential advancements.
- Possess a bachelor's degree or higher in a science or engineering discipline (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited institution
- Minimum of five (5) years of plastic processing experience working at a laboratory, pilot plant, and/or manufacturing plant in a private, public, government or military environment
- Master's degree or higher in Polymer/Plastics Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science Engineering, or from an accredited university
- 10+ years working with precision tolerance products and advanced injection molding techniques.
- 10+ years of experience in injection molding or prototype lab setting
- "Hands on, self-starter" orientation to their work
- Broad interests and willingness to explore new areas
- Strength in understanding injection molding process equipment, material selection, and polymer analysis
- Possess superior interpersonal skills and demonstrated leadership skills
- Excellent written and oral communications skills are essential
- Ability to assess the existing technical literature and intellectual property landscape
- Demonstrated Scientific Molding Process Optimization
- Strategic mindset
- Ability to work well in multi-disciplinary teams
Location: Woodbury / Maplewood, Minnesota
Travel: May include up to 10% domestic/international
Relocation: Is authorized
3M is a place where you can collaborate with other curious, creative people. Where your diverse talents, inclusiveness, initiative and leadership are valued. Where you'll find challenging opportunities that make your career exciting and rewarding. With a diversity of people, global locations, technologies and products, 3M is a place to grow and be rewarded for excellence.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M.3M is an equal opportunity employer. 3M will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Please note: your application may not be considered if you do not provide your education and work history, either by: 1) uploading a resume, or 2) entering the information into the application fields directly.
Please access the linked document by clicking here, select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.