Radiation Therapist - PRN
21st Century Oncology Oklahoma City, OK
- Expired: January 17, 2021. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Radiation Therapist coordinates, plans, and administers high quality and comprehensive age/disease appropriate radiotherapy to oncology patients of all age groups by utilizing equipment, computers, and established techniques to ensure a positive patient experience. Demonstrating radiation safety standards with patient and staff members is essential. This role requires travel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare or construct equipment, such as immobilization, treatment, or protection devices.
- Position patients for Simulation and Treatment with accuracy, according to prescription.
- Administer prescribed doses of radiation to specific body parts, using radiation therapy equipment according to established practices and standards.
- Properly document simulations, treatments and patient care activities in the EMR.
- Assists other department with matters of proper documentation
- Check radiation therapy and simulation equipment to ensure proper operation following established quality assurance and warm-up procedures.
- Reports machine and equipment problems following the established procedure.
- Review prescription, diagnosis, patient chart, and identification before initiating treatment.
- Follow principles of radiation protection for patient, self, and others- ALARA.
- Observe and reassure patients during treatment and report unusual reactions to physician.
- Respond to medical emergencies by calling 911 and notifying the physician, nurse and supervisor on duty immediately. Document the time 911 is called and the time responders arrive.
- Check for side effects, such as skin irritation, nausea, or hair loss to assess patients' reaction to treatment; notify appropriate staff (Lead/Sr. Therapist, Nurse or Physician)
- Educate, prepare, and reassure patients and their families by answering questions, providing physical assistance, and reinforcing physicians' advice regarding treatment reactions or post-treatment care.
- Efficiently coordinates and plans patient schedule(s) to optimize resources
- Interacts with both internal and external customers professionally
- Train or supervise students and assist with acclimating newly hired Radiation Therapists
- Attend and participate in mandatory work related meetings and training sessions including Chart Rounds.
- Perform documented chart reviews and reports issues to the Lead or Sr. Therapist.
- Assigns Tasks using the electronic health record- EMR to communicate pending work.
- Provide float coverage during idle time to other areas of operation.
- Depending on the location the Radiation Therapist must be able to operate all types of radiation therapy machines and CT simulator technology at assigned location utilizing the latest treatment techniques including 3D Conformal, IMRT, SRS/SBRT, IGRT, and Brachytherapy
- Cross Training - develops plan with Lead or Sr. Therapist to cross-train on equipment and technology where unfamiliar, but allowed under licensure or certification.
- Maintain a productive relationship with the physics and dosimetry departments. Follow established practice patterns to ensure the timely readiness of treatment plans, including QA for initiating patient treatment and follow-up.
- Follow the established Machine Problem Reporting process to ensure proper reporting is complete per policy.
- Reconciles daily treatment counts to the captured DTS counts to ensure accuracy and reports inaccuracies to the Lead/Sr. Therapist daily.
- Assists with generating statistical reports as required by Administration i.e. weekly patient forecasts
- Notifies supervisor of sick time before the start of next scheduled shift and days thereafter.
- Requests vacation time in advance in order for the supervisor to arrange coverage.
- Understands the possibility for after hours and weekend therapist coverage as assigned.
- Follow the code of ethics and practice standards set by the ARRT and ASRT.
- Compliant with all licensure and certification requirements to perform job as required by State law and company policy.
- Follows established policies and procedures for reporting Treatment Variances.
- Reports work related injuries to the supervisor immediately.
- Reports unsafe equipment or work conditions to supervisor immediately.
- Attend and participate in regularly scheduled technical/clinical staff meetings
- Acknowledge new or revised policies and procedures through in-service documentation form.
- Participates in OSHA related activities, including drills.
- Ensure that required competencies and mandatory training and compliance activities are completed as assigned.
- Monitors supply levels of department and reports to supervisor before zero inventories.
Complies with and supports all company/departmental policies and procedures. Consistently exceeds a required level of performance. Acts as a positive role model in complying with all safety regulation governed by such agencies as OSHA and HIPAA. Demonstrates knowledge about utilization of proper equipment and body mechanics (lifting) consistently applies this knowledge and shares it with staff members. Promotes and emphasizes strong team work.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Graduate of an approved School for Radiation Therapy.
- ARRT Registered Technologist (T)
- State licensed (mandatory where required)
- Must be in good standing with all CE and license requirements.
- CPR certified
- Computer literate, to include experience with the following:
- Record & Verify Applications
- Treatment Delivery Applications
- Electronic Medical Record
- MS Office Suite
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal; good organizational skills; confidentiality; excellent interpersonal skills; positive interaction in dealing with patients.
JOB DESCRIPTION CLAUSE
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.