The Senior Systems Specialist is primarily responsible for leading the architecture & deployment of critical systems and mission critical infrastructure spanning multiple data centers across the globe. Responsibilities include the entire stack including hardware, software, operating systems, middleware and software as a service (SaaS) components. This role works to design and implement new technology and improve the delivery of current technology, infrastructure and services using complex and original problem-solving skills at a senior level. The role is a final escalation point and is expected to be able to contribute to any critical incident or outage across any team or technology stack.
Prime focus will be on POSTFIX, email, Open-XChange, git, puppet. Experience in a hosting environment is beneficial.
- Primary job responsibilities will include experience with Postfix, Sendmail, Dovecot, Open-Xchange, Zimbra and other Unix based email platforms.
- Architect and refine new and existing systems to provide increased performance, automation and next-generation services.
- Lead priority projects including the rollout of new systems, services and software
- Lead technical problem-solving activities to quickly diagnose problems and restore services as directed.
- Evaluate new and evolving technologies to provide technical feedback.
- Author and peer review plans related to deploying new technologies, maintenance and upgrades.
- Mentoring peers and provide proactive support, policies and best practices.
- Providing consultative services to business units as well as other teams within the IT organization. Participate in collaboration groups and efforts.
Education: Bachelors (or equivalent experience) in IT, computer science, computer engineering, or related field
Experience: Minimum of 7-9 years of experience with relevant IT systems, e-mail architecture and engineering
- In depth knowledge of Internet protocols, operating systems, networking and internet services including application hosting, email and databases.
- Advanced skills and knowledge of Unix operating systems (Linux) including systems configuration, administration, troubleshooting methodology and software installation.
- Indepth experience with email protocols and troubleshooting to include SMTP/LMTP, Milters, POP, IMAP, message stores, Sieve filters & Webmail (Apache, PHP, and Java applications).
- 3+ years of expertise in automation technologies for system configuration and release management (Git, Puppet, Ansible, Cobbler, Containerization, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- 10% worldwide travel requirement when necessary.
- Participate in after hours and weekends release and maintenance activities.
- Participate in the 24x7 operation as a senior escallation point.
- Strong sense of ownership and the ability to work with a limited set of requirements.
- Strong verbal, written, communication and presentation skills with proven ability to successfully interact with senior leadership in IT & Business functions
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced, self-directed environment with minimal direction.
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, communication, time management skills with strong follow up.
- Experience dealing with confidential data and situations.
- Solid understanding of development, quality assurance and integration methodologies.
- Has an advanced understanding of business complexities, problems or opportunities & applies leading knowledge, skills, & experiences to successfully manage project cost, schedule, and scope.
- Under general direction, identifies group level challenges & recommends solutions. Solves difficult business problems through effective use of financial, process & technology management while utilizing human resource management.
- Has the courage to explore new or improved capabilities. Accepts feedback from supervisors and peers and learns from failures. Expresses thoughts and opinions in a productive manner about improvements in capabilities. Instills confidence in junior and senior members of the team.
- Is highly effective in interacting with peers, teams, business partners, and management to influence and drive business decisions. Utilizes proper latitude and autonomy.
- Be Candid but Authentic & Sincere: Speak openly but professionally
- Be Intellectually Curious: Ask good questions, listen & understand, be prepared
- Strive to be the Best Version of Yourself: Own your career & development
- Act with Focused Velocity: Be responsive, time is critical
- Do What you Say You Are Going to Do: Be personally responsible
- Execute as One Team: Be collaborative, value diverse perspectives