What Is a Sheet Metal Mechanic and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Is a Sheet Metal Mechanic?
How to Become a Sheet Metal Mechanic
Sheet Metal Mechanic Job Description Sample
With this Sheet Metal Mechanic job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember though, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for their Sheet Metal Mechanic position.
Our company is looking for a new Sheet Metal Mechanic to help us with a variety of construction projects. In this role, you primarily work on heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, with a focus on ductwork. You are responsible for prefabricating certain portions of the ducting, but you also do much of the duct installation on-site with power and hand tools. Our ideal candidate has experience with sheet metal, whether on a construction site or on an assembly line. You should also have completed an apprenticeship or a technical school program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Install ductwork for new HVAC construction projects
- Repair existing systems
- Make plans and material estimates for each project
- Test and examine systems for quality
- Advise less specialized workers on the site
Requirements and Qualifications
- Technical school certificate or completed apprenticeship
- Experience with sheet metal and a variety of tools
- Manual dexterity and physical stamina
- Construction experience
- Certificate from the International Training Institute for the Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Industry (preferred)