What Is a Senior Graphic Designer and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Is a Senior Graphic Designer?
A senior graphic designer is an experienced artist who creates images for product labels, websites, and advertisements. This is a leadership role with duties that may include mentoring and supervising other team members. As a senior graphic designer, you and lead project strategy and give final approval on projects. You must be skilled with graphic design software.
How to Become a Senior Graphic Designer
To become a senior graphic designer, employers prefer candidates with multiple years of experience in a creative graphic design role. Senior graphic designers have completed various projects producing designs for a variety of clients. Starting your career in the graphic design field, you should build up your production portfolio and highlight the skills you gained on each project. When a senior position opens, your portfolio showcases your qualifications and skills.
Senior Graphic Designer Job Description Sample
With this Senior Graphic Designer job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember though, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for their Senior Graphic Designer position.
We are seeking an experienced, visually talented individual to join our company as a Senior Graphic Designer. As part of our marketing team, you will create a wide variety of graphic assets for use in everything from social media to print advertising. You will develop new visual concepts within our existing visual framework, work with key stakeholders and executive leadership to ensure broad alignment, and create assets for use in various media and contexts. This is a senior-level position in which you frequently direct and oversee other creative professionals, so our ideal applicant has prior leadership experience directing creatives in this way.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and pitch new brand concepts for use in global and local campaigns
- Update and enforce visual style guides for use by product teams and partners
- Oversee teams of creative professionals in developing visual and content assets for use in various media
- Create marketing collateral and brochures for use in event spaces
Requirements and Qualifications
- Five years of experience as a graphic designer in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Proven experience leading creative teams in developing brand concepts
- Expert-level abilities with Adobe Suite software
- Close knowledge of user experience and content strategy principles
- Strong organizational and communication skills