What Is a Sales Professional and How to Become One
A sales professional can be a sales representative or manager of the sales department in a business or organization. Your duties as a sales representative are to develop and maintain customer relationships, sell company product or services to customers, and keep a record of your inventory and sales. The responsibilities of a sales manager are to oversee customer accounts and relations processes, monitor the performance of sales representatives, train sales representatives on product information and selling techniques, and ensure that your team meets sales goals for your company. You may also oversee handling escalated customer service issues, managing inventory, and scheduling sales representatives.
The qualifications you need to become a sales professional vary with the specific position. Sales representatives typically need a high school diploma or GED certificate and can get an entry-level position with several weeks or months of on-the-job training to help them develop the necessary sales and customer service skills for the job. Sales manager positions sometimes require an associate degree or bachelor’s degree in business, management, or a similar field, in addition to a strong sales and customer service background. Many companies promote sales representatives who excel in their position to sales manager even without formal education.
With this Sales Professional job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember though, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for their Sales Professional position.
We are seeking an experienced and motivated Sales Professional to expand our client base and promote our brand. In this role, you will cultivate relationships with potential clients and educate them on how our resources can benefit their company. With every new contract, you will ensure the prompt delivery of the ordered product and follow up with our clients to provide excellent customer service and ensure they are satisfied with their transaction. Our ideal candidate has an extensive background in sales and knows how to utilize existing leads to close deals, generate new leads, and develop long-lasting customer relationships.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contact customers from leads to discuss our products and services
- Generate new leads through direct mail, email, and social media
- Create effective sales pitches to close deals
- Draw up accurate contracts for clients
- Contact the warehouse to ensure on-time delivery of products
- Follow up with clients to discuss their experience and ensure satisfaction
Requirements and Qualifications
- A high school diploma or equivalent; an associate or a bachelor’s degree preferred
- 2+ years of sales experience
- A portfolio of your history of successful deals
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Outgoing and goal-oriented
- Reliable transportation