Sales managers lead, supervise, and mentor a team of salespeople. They delegate job duties to their staff and set clear expectations and goals. The primary responsibilities of a sales manager include creating a sales plan, setting quotas for salespeople, assigning territories, and training new salespeople. They also prepare regular reports on sales figures for upper management.
Most sales managers have a bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, or a related field. Some also pursue graduate degrees. Aspiring sales managers must also have several years of successful sales experience and along with some supervisory experience. Qualified candidates have analytical and problem-solving abilities, excellent communication skills, leadership skills, a willingness to mentor and develop talent, and the ability to thrive under pressure.
Sales managers manage their sales staff, work with customers, and ensure their staff meets business goals. Much of a sales manager’s job consists of leading and developing their team of sales representatives. These duties include recruiting and onboarding new team members, setting targets, establishing performance plans, conducting training, providing guidance, answering questions, and meeting one-on-one and in group settings to ensure everyone understands their responsibilities. Sales managers may not have a client load the way the sales associates do, but sales managers may need to work with customers when they have an issue the sale associate is unable to handle. Staying focused on the department’s goals is essential, and it is the sales manager’s job to keep the entire team focused and motivated.
To become a sales manager, earn a bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, or a related field. Acquire an entry-level sales position in an industry you are interested in. Cultivate a portfolio of successful client sales and seek more responsibility, including leadership roles. Once you have established yourself as an excellent salesperson, find sales managers positions.
With this Sales Manager job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember though, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for their Sales Manager position.
We are seeking an experienced, goal-oriented sales manager to join our growing organization. In this position, you will coordinate sales distribution, quotas, and goals. You should analyze sales statistics, encouraging your team to hit sales targets and expand the company with new sales, clients, and territories.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage, mentor, and lead sales team members
- Develop monthly, quarterly, and annual sales plans
- Pursue new sales opportunities, gather inbound leads, and follow up with calls and meetings
- Establish sales territories and manage sales distribution
- Recruit, interview, train, and on-board new sales representatives
- Research customer needs and requirements; implement new ideas and strategies to generate interest in sales
- Meet and strive to exceed sales quotas
- Interact with sales representatives, team leaders, managers, and executives to evaluate sales strategy and results
- Develop and implement strategies to bring in new business
- Follow up on potential sales leads
- Analyze sales data and recommend changes or improvements for better customer satisfaction and future revenue
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business, administration, or related field
- 3-5 years of previous experience in sales, management, customer service, finance, administration, or related field
- Demonstrated and proven sales results
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite
- Able to analyze data and sales statistics and translate results into numbers and solutions
- Experience with preparing and presenting quarterly goals and forecasts for future projects; experience with compiling and following strict budgets