What Is a Sales Associate and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Do Sales Associates Do?
What Skills Do Sales Associates Have?
What Is the Difference Between a Sales and Warehouse Associate?
Warehouse associates operate in facilities that produce and package the items sold in retail shops. They bundle and ship items for order fulfillment, which may include orders from individual consumers or commercial customers. A warehouse associate may work different shifts than a sales associate since order requests are received at all hours and may need rapid fulfillment.
How to Become a Sales Associate?
Sales Associate Job Description Sample
With this Sales Associate job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember though, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for their Sales Associate position.
We are seeking a motivated, positive sales associate to join our growing team. In this position, you will drive sales by assisting customers with their buying experience. We are looking for a go-getter with an aptitude for persuasive communication and a drive to succeed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet customers upon entrance
- Seek out customers to check on purchase progress
- Assess customer needs and wants; answer customer questions and concerns
- Provide appropriate product recommendations
- Ensure merchandise is in-stock and displayed on shelves in a presentable manner
- Use point of sale (POS) system to conduct purchase transactions
- Process merchandise returns
- Assist in product inventory procedures
- Cross-sell and upsell products
- Memorize in-store promotions and special offers in order to communicate to customers
- Build relationships with customers, especially regular customers
- Team up with co-workers to ensure customer satisfaction
- Educate customers on new arrivals and future product arrivals
- Follow opening and closing procedures thoroughly
- Meet (and preferably exceed) monthly and quarterly sales quotas
- Make suggestions on ways to improve sales and boost revenue
- Go the “extra mile” to drive sales
Requirements and Qualifications
- High School diploma or equivalent; bachelor’s degree a plus
- Proven experience in a retail sales environment
- Track record of meeting sales quota or exceeding sales quota
- Knowledge of customer market dynamics
- Strong customer service and communication skills
- Proficiency in English
- Basic math skills
- Familiarity with POS system a plus
- Familiarity with inventory procedures a plus
- Friendly, approachable personality
- Ability to perform and sell under pressure
- Flexible schedule (i.e., available to work weekends, nights, and/or holidays when necessary)