What Is a Sous Chef and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Is a Sous Chef?
How to Become a Sous Chef
How to Be a Good Sous Chef
Sous Chef Job Description Sample
With this Sous Chef job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember though, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for their Sous Chef position.
We are looking for an organized and efficient Sous Chef to manage our kitchen. Under the direction of the executive chef, you will recruit and train talented kitchen staff on preparing all menu items, oversee operations during meal service, and ensure all dishes served to guests meet the highest quality standards. You will also make sure all work stations are kept clean and organized, supplies are stocked, and staff follows safe food preparation procedures at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage kitchen staff, including providing necessary direction and training
- Schedule employees to ensure that the kitchen is adequately staffed at all necessary times
- Assist with the preparation and design of food and drink menus
- Make sure that all plates that leave the kitchen meet taste and design standards
- Ensure that the kitchen operates efficiently and professionally
- Maintain kitchen inventory and order supplies
- Confirm compliance with all sanitation and health and safety standards
- Fill in for the executive chef when necessary
Requirements and Qualifications
- Associate degree or certificate in culinary arts
- 2+ years of experience as a sous chef
- Knowledge of food preparation and existing health and safety standards
- Ability to effectively manage, direct, and lead a large team
- Strong communication skills
- Collaborative attitude with an emphasis on excellent customer service