Receptionists work in an administrative role in an office or other business. They greet clients, patients, vendors, or anyone else who enters the company’s office or facility. The receptionist is typically the first person you see representing the company, so part of their job is to make a good impression on everyone they meet. They also answer phones and other administrative tasks. Specific job duties depend upon the industry in which they are employed.
Though the specific functions of a receptionist’s job depend on the setting, this position generally requires a person to be friendly and knowledgeable about their workplace. They should be helpful to visitors, making sure to determine what the need when they arrive. For example, hotel receptionists check in guests and answer questions they may have about the facilities. Medical office receptionists may serve as a primary administrator, notifying nursing staff that a patient has arrived to see the doctor, receiving and processing payments, scheduling appointments, and directing phone calls.
Receptionists make an important first impression on anyone visiting the company facility, so it is crucial that they have a professional demeanor and are clear communicators. They should be highly organized, excellent multitaskers, and very comfortable working with a variety of people. They should also have a solid working knowledge of all office functions, including how to use the printers, phones, and other machines, and possess all necessary computer skills.
Receptionist job opportunities are good, especially in the healthcare industry. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a nine percent growth by 2026, which is about average for all occupations that are monitored.
With this Receptionist job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember though, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for their Receptionist position.
We are looking for a friendly, informative, and welcoming receptionist to join our growing company. As a receptionist, you will serve as a positive first impression of the company at all times, while handling the daily responsibilities of a receptionist with efficiency and ease. You will answer inquiries, provide information to customers and visitors, and maintain an organized front desk.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Answer phone inquiries, direct calls and provide basic company information
- Perform clerical duties, take memos, maintain files, and organize documents, etc.
- Monitor front desk and comply with all security procedures for visitors
- Assist in planning company events, meetings, luncheons, and employee team building activities
- Make travel arrangements, answer emails, and correspond as needed
- Oversee mail deliveries, packages, and couriers
- Purchase, track, and invoice office supplies for each department
- Set up, break down, organize, and maintain conference rooms, training rooms, and meeting rooms
Requirements and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Associate or bachelor’s degree preferred
- Prior experience handling receptionist responsibilities; experience in customer service or related field
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Highly organized multitasker who works well in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent time management and written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to learn and to grow with the company