What Is a Quality Manager and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Does a Quality Manager Do?
As a quality manager, your job is to oversee Quality Assurance (QA) and Quality Control (QC) for each product or service assigned to you. Your duties include guaranteeing products and services meet the standards of your organization, keeping management aware of any problems with production, and ensuring that the manufacturing process goes as smoothly as possible. This job has different aspects depending on where a product or service is in the development cycle. Products that are still being designed need QA to make creation as smooth as possible, while released products require QC to ensure the expected level of quality is maintained.
How to Become a Quality Manager
The primary qualifications for this position vary by company. Most employers prefer candidates who have a bachelor's degree in project management or a field related to the product or service they create. Previous experience in the industry, including work to design products or help customers resolve problems, is also helpful to have. Fulfilling the duties and responsibilities of this position requires excellent communication skills, the ability to present oral reports, familiarity with word processing software, and talent for balancing the needs of various departments and budgets. You may need to teach other employees what to look for when performing tests and develop a plan to avoid a repeat of problems, so experience in these areas is also helpful.
Quality Manager Job Description Sample
With this Quality Manager job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember though, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for their Quality Manager position.
We are seeking an experienced quality manager who will ensure our products are consistently delivered up to set standards. In this position, you will oversee production staff and improve upon production processes to increase efficiency in our factory. You must be organized, detail-oriented, and have a strong background in management and quality assessment and assurance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure all products consistently meet and pass set quality standards
- Analyze current quality assessment techniques for inconsistencies and redundancy
- Create and implement changes to improve current processes and reduce costs
- Train production line staff in proper production practices and basic quality assessment
- Follow products through the entirety of process to ensure each step is completed correctly
- Perform detailed inspections of final products and confirm they are up to standards
- Eliminate products not up to standards and seek root cause of the problem
- Manage and supervise workers in quality assessment tasks
- Perform frequent inspections and audits of work processes, including safety
- Monitor production and quality processes and troubleshoot any errors
- Educate staff in proper disposal of items not suitable for use
- Research and gather client and customer feedback for ways to improve products
- Communicate with suppliers and vendors to obtain raw materials and/or equipment
- Examine raw materials to confirm correct specifications and established standards
- Collaborate with management and line production staff to achieve most efficient and accurate quality assessments
- Track, record, and maintain quality assurance data
- Present progress reports to upper management
- Follow and adhere to all state, federal and company enforced safety rules and regulations
- Make safety a priority at all times
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field
- Certified Quality Inspector preferred
- 3+ years of experience in manufacturing and quality assurance
- Understanding of ISO 9000, 140001, etc. implementation
- Experience with lean manufacturing principles (Six Sigma)
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Access)
- Extensive management experience
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Highly detail-oriented