What Is a Pharmacy Technician and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Do Pharmacy Technicians Do?
What Is a Pharmacy Technician?
What Are Pharmacy Technician Requirements?
How Do You Become a Pharmacy Technician?
Pharmacy Technician Job Description Sample
With this Pharmacy Technician job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember though, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for their Pharmacy Technician position.
We are seeking an experienced, organized, and detail-oriented pharmacy technician to join our growing healthcare team. In this position, you will be responsible for retail transactions and prescription filling at the pharmacy counter. You should be comfortable working with other technicians, as well as handling all over-the-counter, FDA-regulated medications.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet customers and answer any and all questions regarding personal medications or general pharmacy products
- Perform opening and closing duties, including acting as keyholder, turning the alarm system on and off, and sterilizing surfaces
- Receive, validate, and process prescription orders
- Speak to doctors and insurance agencies to resolve prescription cost discrepancies
- Select, measure, and label appropriate prescriptions for patrons
- Monitor inventory, both behind the counter and in the general pharmacy area
- Perform administrative duties such as answering calls and voicemails
- Keep records of all transactions
- Comply with all safety and security regulations
Requirements and Qualifications
- Familiarity with pharmacy law and medical terminology
- 1+ years of experience in a pharmacy setting
- Excellent customer service skills; strong interpersonal communication skills