What Is an Office Clerk and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Does an Office Clerk Do?
How Do You Become an Office Clerk?
What Certification Does an Office Clerk Need?
What Is the Job Outlook for an Office Clerk?
Office Clerk Job Description Sample
With this Office Clerk job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember though, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for their Office Clerk position.
We are currently seeking an experienced, competent office clerk to perform various administrative and clerical tasks, helping to support our offices and ensure success. The ideal candidate will be comfortable undertaking a variety of activities in the office, including filing, answering the phone, organizing documents, basic bookkeeping, and more. S/he will have the ability to work diligently and independently to help maintain efficient office operations. Reliability and a strong work ethic with great communication skills are a must. Familiarity with all necessary office equipment and procedures is also required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to organize and maintain files and records, ensuring they remain updated and are easily accessible
- Overseeing sorting and distribution of incoming mail
- Preparation of outgoing mail (envelopes, packages, etc.)
- Friendly and knowledgeable when answering the phone, taking messages. or redirecting calls to appropriate offices
- Skilled in the use of office equipment such as photocopier, printers, etc
- Excellent computer skills for word processing, spreadsheet creation, etc
- Familiarity with basic bookkeeping tasks, able to issue invoices, checks, etc
- Rapid typing skills to take minutes of meetings and dictations
- Team mentality and willingness to assist in office management and organization procedures
- Inventory stock of office supplies (paper, ink, etc.) and order what is needed
- Able to help make travel arrangements for coworkers and book venues for conferences/events
- Willing to perform various office duties, as assigned
Requirements and Qualifications
- High school diploma required relevant degree or certification is preferred
- Successful work experience as an office clerk or in another clerical position
- Strong working knowledge of office procedures and basic accounting principles
- Ability to effectively use and maintain office equipment
- Excellent, rapid typing skills with knowledge in stenography and experience taking dictations
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Outstanding communication skills
- Great organizational and multitasking abilities