A mechanical design engineer is a professional who designs mechanical products or systems. Mechanical design engineers often work in every aspect of product development: conducting research, designing, prototyping, and testing. Mechanical design engineers use their knowledge of science, technology, design, and mathematics to meet the product requirements.
To become a mechanical design engineer, you must have a formal education in design, science, mathematics, and mechanical engineering, and an interest in developing new products. Most mechanical design engineer positions require a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering. Additional experience in design, drafting, or product development may be necessary for some jobs and by some employers. The Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) offers certifications, as do other organizations, for mechanical engineering programs. Many employers will favor candidates with these accreditations.
With this Mechanical Design Engineer job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember though, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for their Mechanical Design Engineer position.
We are seeking a qualified, motivated individual to join our company as a Mechanical Design Engineer. As part of our design team, you are the primary owner of concurrent mechanical design projects, including improvement of existing designs. You collaborate with a team of fellow engineer subject matter experts (SMEs), reporting to departmental leadership and key stakeholders to determine project pathways and roadmaps. This is a specialized position within our organization, and our ideal candidate has prior professional experience as a design engineer, preferably in a role related to manufacturing processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Take primary ownership of multiple concurrent design projects, managing workflow and setting progress markers
- Present project progress and challenges during all-hands meetings
- Collaborate with leadership and key stakeholders to ensure designs help further business objectives
- Test all designs and prototypes to ensure desired functionality
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering required; master’s degree or higher preferred
- Prior professional experience as a mechanical engineer, particularly as related to manufacturing preferred
- Experience with 3D modeling and simulation software
- Expert-level skills with AutoCAD and standard drafting platforms
- Strong presentation and communication skills