What Is a Data Entry Operator and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Do Data Entry Operators Do?
As a data entry operator, you enter, update, and verify data in a computer system. Your job duties and responsibilities may include transcribing documents, detecting and correcting errors, basic management of electronic files, formatting and producing documents, and entering data for form letters. They often work under direct supervision.
How to Become a Data Entry Operator
Most positions for a data entry operator require a high school diploma or a GED certificate. The skills necessary for the job include the ability to type quickly and accurately, a high level of attention to detail, computer proficiency, and familiarity with spreadsheets and other office productivity software. Previous administrative experience may be useful.
Data Entry Operator Job Description Sample
With this Data Entry Operator job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember though, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for their Data Entry Operator position.
We have an immediate opening for a Data Entry Operator. You will work with our data team to extract information from various websites and enter the figures into our system. Accuracy is crucial for this position; candidates must be organized and detail-oriented. We will also test you on computer proficiency and typing speed. Familiarity with social media sites is a plus. We prefer applicants who have held some administrative positions, but we are willing to train the right person.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research relevant data on various websites
- Enter and update data daily and ensure that entries are correct and complete
- Use various databases to store and manage data
- Generate bi-weekly reports
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Respond to internal requests for access to protected files
Requirements and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 1+ years of experience in administrative roles a plus
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Familiar with social media platforms
- Must be comfortable with sitting for long periods