A call center agent accepts incoming calls or makes outgoing calls for a business in a call center. These calls may be for a variety of situations, such as customer service, sales calls, product instructions, and billing inquiries. You may be responsible for taking orders, handling customer complaints, and answering questions from callers. In sales jobs, your duties may also include setting appointments and making product sales. Many call center agents are promoted to inside sales or other jobs after excelling at their work in the call center.
To become a call center agent, you will likely need a high school diploma, though some jobs may only require on-the-job training. Basic computer skills and a willingness to talk to people over the phone are a must. You must be self-motivated, goal-oriented, friendly, and have a professional phone demeanor. Jobs as a center agent take patience and confidence. You need the ability to learn quickly, stay organized, and have a positive attitude. This is a good position for people who want to learn on the job.
A good call center agent can maintain a positive and professional attitude, even when speaking with unhappy customers or uninterested prospects. While particular duties vary between call centers, employers, and positions, all good call center agents provide the best possible customer service on every call. They can remain motivated to continue to take or make calls, giving each call the highest level of professionalism. In sales positions, good call center agents are able to make the appointment or close the sale.
With this Call Center Agent job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember though, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for their Call Center Agent position.
We are seeking a friendly, hard-working call center agent to join our growing team. In this position, you will interact respond to inquiries in either the customer service, sales, or technical support space on the telephone, email, and/or instant messaging. You should be ambitious, results-driven, and goal-oriented.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide services or make sales directly to customers via the telephone or through email and instant messaging communications
- Make and receive calls using a telephone headset
- Read from a dynamic prepared script that applies to the situation at hand
- Adjust scripts as necessary to target the individual interests of clients
- Respond to customer queries with information about products and services or technical assistance
- Collect customer information pertinent to business objectives, such as name, address, demographic and financial information
- Process order information; schedule appointments
- Conduct surveys for market research; enter data into computer systems
- Maintain detailed records of contacts
- Acquire lead lists with names and telephone numbers of potential clients
- Monitor performance in conjunction with personal goals and business objectives
Requirements and Qualifications
- High school or general equivalency diploma
- Experience in sales, marketing, or customer service roles
- Proficient with computers and software such as Microsoft Office
- Excellent written and verbal communication abilities and interpersonal skills
- Exemplary customer service skills
- Ability to handle demanding customers with patience and professionalism
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment