What Is a CNC Machinist and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Is a CNC Machinist Job Description?
The job of a CNC machinist is to ensure the accuracy of production runs by pre-programming and monitoring runs for quality. A CNC machinist has a strong working knowledge of Computer Numeric Controlled machinery and is committed to quality and safety.
How Do You Get a Job As a CNC Machine Operator?
To get a job as a CNC machine operator, you can become an apprentice or learn the trade at a vocational school or community college. In addition to experience operating a CNC machine, strong job candidates for CNC machinist positions have strong math and mechanical skills. Certifications in the field are available and may increase job prospects.
Top 10 Skills Needed for CNC Machinists
Do your skills line up with what hiring managers are looking for when they are reviewing resumes for a CNC Machinist position? ZipRecruiter scanned over 9,000,000 job postings and created a list of the most commonly required abilities for CNC Machinists below.
Based on our assessment, mastering the skills below and listing them on your resume is critical in getting your CNC Machinist job application to the top of the stack.
- Numerical Control
- CNC Machining
- Lathe Operator
- Blueprint Reading
- Lathe Machining
- Machine Operator
What Are Some Types of Machines Used in a CNC Machining Job?
There are many types of CNC machines. Some examples include EDM machines, woodworking machines, lasers, plasma cutters, engravers, turning centers, and grinders. Many metal and woodworking machines and tools once operated manually have now been replaced by CNC machines.
CNC Machinist Job Description Sample
With this CNC Machinist job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for a CNC Machinist role.
We are currently seeking an experienced and reliable CNC Machinist to join our industrial production team. You will set up and program various tools and equipment to create, modify, or repair precision parts. During production, you must monitor the machinery and conduct regular quality checks to ensure they are running properly and that the parts are being produced according to specifications. Accuracy is crucial to our production, so all candidates must have attention to detail and be extremely focused on their work.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Check CNC machinery is in good working order before set up
- Set up machinery to successfully conduct the run as specified
- Conduct all programming as required
- Monitor the run throughout the cycle, checking that specifications are met
- Perform all necessary machine maintenance
- Follow safety standards at all times
- Report any safety or maintenance concerns to management immediately
- Keep all work areas clean and organized
Requirements and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2+ years of experience as a CNC Machinist or similar role
- Able to read and follow technical drawings and diagrammed instructions
- Must be able to pass background check and drug screening