What Is a Business Development Officer and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Is a Business Development Officer?
A business development officer is responsible for increasing company sales through marketing, research, and lead generation. As a business development officer, your job duties may include performing market research to improve products and services, identifying methods to increase productivity and company operations, and communicating potential changes with shareholders and other business leaders. The career typically requires a bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing, or a related field and relevant work experience. Additional qualifications include excellent analytical, research, and communication skills, as well as leadership ability and business savvy.
How to Become a Business Development Officer
The qualifications you need to become a business development officer include a bachelor’s degree and experience in the industry in which you work. Most in this role have a bachelor’s degree in business, finance, marketing, or another related field, but some employers prefer to hire business development officers with a Master in Business Administration (MBA). Typically, a business development officer must be proficient in customer relationship management (CRM) software and other industry IT tools and be able to track sales, marketing, and customer activity to meet your company's goals. Additional qualifications include excellent communication and problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
Business Development Officer Job Description Sample
With this Business Development Officer job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for a Business Development Officer role.
We are looking for an innovative and driven business development officer to join our growing team. The individual in this role would be responsible for analyzing our customer base and current sales strategies and identifying opportunities to increase efficiency and profitability. We are seeking a candidate who is creatively-minded and eager to think outside the box when it comes to our customers and their needs. Candidates with a background in sales who are analytically minded and motivated will do well in this role.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyze the current customer base, including portfolios and rolodexes, to identify potential sales opportunities
- Build strong relationships with customers, outside business contacts, and company stakeholders
- Review and communicate proposals and cost estimates to customers and stakeholders
- Negotiate timelines and budgets
- Develop and test unique business strategies and concepts
- Collaborate with colleagues and peers on the sales, marketing, and product development teams to improve overall customer experience and satisfaction
- Stay up to date on company best practices, policies, products, pricing, and promotions
- Increase overall sales efficiency and profitability through excellent salesmanship
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in business, finance, or related field preferred
- Equivalent experience in related field acceptable as well (example: five-plus years in a sales or business development environment)
- Familiarity with relevant software, such as Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiarity with SalesForce a plus
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Critical thinking skills, analytical, organized
- Creatively-minded, good at thinking âoutside the box'
- Skills of persuasion
- Computer skills
- Ability to travel when necessary to meet with customers and/or stakeholders and build business relationships
- Must be available full time