What Is a Business Consultant and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Do Business Consultants Do?
A Business Consultant is a professional advisor with a particular set of expertise. Specifically, they are knowledgeable on a variey of topics related to the successful operation of a business, such as strategy and accounting. Firms and organizations in a range of industries employ outside consultants to advise them on a particular problem or set of issues, most commonly related to financial stability. Most consultants are independent contractors, rather than in-house employees.
Where Can I Go to School for Business Consulting?
Most Business Consultants have at least a bachelor’s degree in their field of focus. There is no program or college major for consulting, but common options include finance, management, information technology, and accounting. Many consulting firms prefer to hire consultants with master’s degrees. Beyond education, the best way to learn about consulting is by developing extensive work experience in a specific area. The more you are knowledgeable on a topic or have proven results, the stronger a candidate you will be. There are certifications available for some fields that can give job seekers additional credibility and skills to be successful.
Business Consultant Job Description Sample
With this Business Consultant job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for a Business Consultant role.
We are seeking a highly-skilled, motivational Business Consultant to join our growing organization. In this position, you will help our clients transform their operations and provide supportive, experience-driven guidance. You will travel to each client’s location and observe their current procedures and develop a plan to increase productivity and reduce waste. The project will include the implementation of new policies, staff training, and evaluation of effectiveness. Our ideal candidate has at least five years of industry experience and a history of successful projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct initial needs assessment of business or business process
- Manage comprehensive data analysis to discover weaknesses, gaps, and problems
- Meet with clients discuss gaps, strategies and project progress
- Develop and deliver presentations with sufficient justification and analysis
- Guide clients in implementing the prescribed strategy and resolving issues
- Provide advice for any recurring challenges or problematic patterns
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in business administration or relevant field
- MSc/MA in a specialized business field is a plus
- 5+ years of proven success as a Business Consultant
- Certification as a Management Consultant a plus
- General business knowledge in IT, human resources, training, market analysis, and other relevant departments
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- High degree of competence in a wide selection of business management software (such as CRM and ERP) and databases
- Excellent research and communication skills
- Flexible schedule