What Is an Area Manager and How to Become One
An area manager oversees store operations for a specific region. Most area managers begin as retail clerks and then move up to manage a particular store. During that time, you learn how the company operates and gain the skills necessary to manage a large staff. After managing a store, you can advance to area manager. In this role, you oversee the daily operations of several stores within a single region. Your duties are to set sales goals and travel between locations to keep track of the finances, sales, and profitability of each store.
The qualifications needed to become an area manager are a high school diploma or GED certificate and years of both sales and management experience. You should consider pursuing a business degree. While it is not required, a degree could speed up your advancement. You need to have a thorough working knowledge of the products and services your business offers. Strong leadership and customer service skills are both critical. While you are mainly responsible for managing employees, you still interact with customers routinely. Prior experience working with budgets is a plus.
A good area manager listens patiently to their employees and has excellent people skills. You should get to know each store manager and new employee at every location. While you must distinguish yourself as an authority figure, a friendly relationship with your staff builds store morale. You need to remain aware of any issues at a store and find novel solutions to address those issues. Tracking productivity is also crucial. Don’t be afraid to do work yourself. You are a role model for your other employees, and you should provide an excellent example of how to work efficiently in the store.
With this Area Manager job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember though, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for their Area Manager position.
We are looking for an energetic, diligent, organized, and self-assured candidate to join our growing company as an area manager. The ideal candidate has a take-charge personality and a talent for getting things done. As an area manager, you will oversee and direct operations at several retail locations within your assigned region. Your job will involve travel between locations and opportunities to interact with a dynamic and diverse group of people.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the operational aspects of stores within your assigned area
- Oversee regional and area managers and their employees
- Collaborate with department leaders to create strategic plans aligned with company objectives
- Ensure that sites in your jurisdiction are compliant with company guidelines and protocols
- Establish training programs for staff members to improve sales outcomes
- Develop processes for location and individual performance evaluations
- Monitor and control inventory at each location
- Coordinate transportation and distribution of stock
- Devise and implement sales and marketing campaigns
- Create incentives to motivate employees to meet sales goals
- Collect data and analyze reports to inform decision-making
- Review historical operations data and reports to identify areas for improvement and innovation
- Maintain financial information; prepare budgets; approve expenditures
Requirements and Qualifications
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in business administration, business management, marketing, or related field
- Excellent leadership skills; approachable and able to cultivate positive rapport with employees
- Prior experience in management and supervisory roles, sales, marketing, or customer service
- Proficient with computers; familiar with business intelligence software (Tableau, MicroStrategy, IBM Cognos Impromptu), customer relationship management software (Salesforce, Blackbaud The Raiser’s Edge), database query software (Microsoft Access, MySQL) and enterprise resource planning software (Microsoft Dynamics GP, SAP, NetSuite ERP, Oracle Fusion Applications)
- Adept at mathematics and finance; able to balance budgets
- Strong time management skills; ability to multitask effectively
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Goal-oriented with proven ability to get results