Administrative assistants perform various clerical duties in a company depending on the specific position and employer. Responsibilities may include filing paperwork, scheduling appointments, data entry, answering the phone, greeting visitors, and generally providing support to other people in the office. An administrative assistant job is great for those who enjoy working with people and being that go-to person within a company.
Working as an administrative assistant can be incredibly rewarding. You help out on a wide variety of projects in many departments and can make a meaningful difference across the entire organization. Particularly for people who love stepping up to the plate and lending a helping hand to others in the office, a position as an administrative assistant can be a great option.
Administrative assistant jobs requiring no experience are available. Typically, most positions require a high school diploma or a GED certificate, and occasionally, employers prefer that applicants have an associate degree. You can volunteer at an organization that may need administrative work to get some experience, or you may participate in classes or certification programs to help set you apart from the competition. Administrative assistants work in a wide variety of industries and offices. You can find employment nearly anywhere—from medical offices to manufacturers.
Do your skills line up with what hiring managers are looking for when they are reviewing resumes for a Administrative Assistant position? ZipRecruiter scanned over 9,000,000 job postings and created a list of the most commonly required abilities for Administrative Assistants below.
Based on our assessment, mastering the skills below and listing them on your resume is critical in getting your Administrative Assistant job application to the top of the stack.
- Communication Skills
- Attention to Detail
- Clerical Skills
- MS Office
- Customer Service
- Data Entry
- Office Management
With this Administrative (Admin) Assistant job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember though, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for their Administrative (Admin) Assistant position.
We are seeking an organized and proactive administrative assistant to join our organization. You will work directly with our office staff to ensure all administrative tasks are efficiently and effectively implemented. Must have strong interpersonal skills, the ability to manage multiple tasks at once, and a wide breadth of experience managing clerical responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain positive and professional staff and client relationships; welcome and greet clients and office guests
- Support office staff and executives with general operational tasks; perform general accounting and bookkeeping duties
- Plan and schedule meetings, presentations, and other office-related events; send reminders regarding upcoming appointments
- Suggest changes to office task workflow to improve efficiency
- Answer phones in a professional manner and direct calls to appropriate persons or take detailed messages
- Schedule travel arrangements
- Manage communication of information in and out of the office; type out correspondence letters, emails, memos, etc. (paper and electronic); prepare outgoing mail and packages for executives
- Assist in preparation of presentation materials
- Monitor and maintain office equipment; repair or replace malfunctioning equipment and hire technicians when required
- Monitor office supplies; order and re-stock as needed
- Ensure office is kept clean and organized at all times
Requirements and Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required
- 2+ years of experience as an administrative assistant
- Fast, proficient, and accurate typist
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Suite and other administrative programs
- An outstanding communicator, both orally and written
- Excellent customer service skills
- Self-starter who works well independently
- Ability to prioritize given tasks and work efficiently towards completing them
- Familiar with common office equipment (printers, copier, fax, etc.)
- Detail-oriented and exceptional organizational skills
- Experience with complex file management
- Strong problem solver and analytical thinker
- Professional demeanor